Michigan Expats - Commentary - See All Commentary
It's finally here. It is opening day for the Detroit Tigers as they kick off the season against the Boston Red Sox. Reigning AL MVP and Cy Young winner Justin Verlander got his pregame Taco Bell dinner last night and is set to throw the first pitch of the season to the AL MVP runner-up, Boston outfielder, Jacoby Ellsbury around 1:05PM EST.
|JV's Taco Bell pregame meal|
There's plenty of pre-season coverage, so I'll add my 2 cents by presenting the Doctor's Rx for enjoying the Tigers 2012 season:
- Temper expectations, slightly. The Tigers should win the AL Central but may not meet or exceed last season's 95 wins. They also have a brutal April schedule (Red Sox, Rays, Yankees, Angels), so it may take a while to pull away in the division. I'm going with 90 wins even.
- Ignore 35 year-old utility infielder Brandon Inge stealing headlines on a team with three MVP candidates.
- Look forward to the Justin Verlander commercials co-starring Michigander and SI cover model, Kate Upton.
- Follow @PhilCokesBrain on Twitter.
- Download the MLive.com Detroit Tigers app and stay up to date on Tigers news and highlights.
- Michigan Expats, subscribe to MLB.TV and watch, listen, and follow the Tigers anywhere on multiple devices.
- Have plenty of Michigan craft beer on hand to watch the Tigers this year including Bell's Oberon, Arcadia's Witsun, Founder's All Day IPA, and any other favorite Michigan brews.
- Play fantasy baseball. You may not be able to draft Cabrera (likely #1 overall pick), but Peralta, Alex Avila, Brennan Boesch, and Delmon Young are great value picks in the second-half of the draft.
- Make the effort to go see the Tigers live this season. Either a trip to Comerica Park in Detroit or another MLB park near you. Find a group of other Tigers fans, have a beer, take a photo, and share it with us here at MichiganExpats.com.
Alright, time for me to go get ready for opening day with friends and beer. Go Tigers!