Michigan Expats - Commentary - See All Commentary
Happy Thanksgiving from Michigan Expats. Upon the eve of one of our greatest national holidays, let us reflect on some of the many things Michigan, Michiganders, and Michigan Expats have to be thankful for this Thanksgiving.
To begin, on a personal note for us here at Michigan Expats, we are thankful for Mr. Sig and his new wife, Mrs. Sig, who were married in Ecuador in June. Furthermore, we are thankful to celebrate the marriage this weekend in Flint.
What Michigan Has to Be Thankful For:
- It's Thanksgiving which means that the Lions are playing in their annual Thanksgiving day game. Be thankful that the Lions are good this year (7-3), and are hosting the reigning Super Bowl champs and undefeated, Green Bay Packers, so plan to postpone the post dinner nap for the Miami-Dallas game.
- It's going to be a beautiful Thanksgiving day here in Michigan with temperatures expected in the 50's. Excellent weather for those annual family Turkey Bowl touch football games. Rules from WSJ.
- A return to winning for the Michigan Wolverines under first year head coach Brady Hoke. Win a win over that team from Ohio this Saturday, Michigan will finish the regular season 10-2 and be in a great position for a BCS bowl game.
- Likewise, Spartan fans can be thankful for their Big Ten Legends division championship. Michigan State will play the winner of Saturday's Penn State v. Wisconsin game on December 3 in Indianapolis in the inaugural Big Ten Championship Game.
- The Detroit Tigers won the AL Central Division and beat the Yankees in the playoffs. Justin Verlander won the AL Cy Young and MVP.
- Michigan must also be thankful for good economic news: Drop in unemployment. Job market outlook brightens. The economy is improving (although still has away to go). Fifth Third Bank announces it'll invest $5 billion in Michigan next year.
- A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving airs Thursday night at 8PM on ABC (I'm a big Peanuts fan).
I'm off to enjoy the biggest bar night of the year at the Waldorf Brewery in Hastings, MI. Please drink responsibly.