Michigan Expats - Sports - See All Sports
We are less than 24 hours away from the hottest ticket in college football kicking off and I have a mini-keg of Bell's Oberon chilling in the fridge and will begin cutting up ingredients for chili tomorrow, but first lets get a final rundown on what people around the state and the nation are talking about the Spartan/Wolverine clash.
If you haven't found it yet, scroll down and you can listen to Mr. Sig and I preview tomorrow's game including our own analysis and predictions. Or download it on iTunes and listen to it on your commute home tonight or en route to the ballgame tomorrow.
UPDATE: Apparently, ESPN wants to kick the state of Michigan this week. First, College Game Day chooses the Alabama/South Carolina game. To add injury to insult, it has assigned Matt Millen to provide the color commentary for the Michigan/Michigan State game tomorrow. I'm so outraged, I don't know where to begin. Please feel free to help me out in the comments.
First lets start out with high school football where the top two teams in the state square off at Bob Perry Field at Red Arrow Stadium. Yes, East Grand Rapids (6-0) travels to Lowell (6-0) to take on the Red Arrows this evening. The long-standing rivalry has taken on new meaning over the last decade as the two OK-White teams have combined for nine state championships. Jane Bos takes a look at the last ten years of the rivalry.
Back to the Saturday clash in Ann Arbor. Links and predictions.
- Mitch Albom profiles the other quarterback in tomorrow's game, Kirk Cousins while simultaneously wondering if the Spartans can slow down "shoelace." Used copies of Tuesday's With Morrie are going for as much as $0.01 on Amazon.
- Are MSU and UofM about to add a new chapter in the rivalry?
- Lynn Henning concludes his series on the top 5 games in the rivalry from the last 25 years. The 2004 Wolverines victory comes in at #1.
- Adam Rittenberg, ESPN Big Ten blogger, highlights some of the best rushing performances of the last ten years in the rivalry.
- Matt Hayes in Sporting News picks the Spartans, 33-30
- Rob Otto on MLive.com concedes that the Spartans dominate time of possession, but goes with the Wolverines, 42-31.
- An former agriculturalist himself, David Mayo, picks Michigan State (formerly Michigan Agricultural College) in the Grand Rapids Press.
- In the SI.com Game of the Week breakdown, Bill Trocchi provides some great analysis and concludes that Hail to the Victors will play with the scoreboard reading 41-38, Wolverines.
- Bob Wojnoski discusses rivalry cliches and picks the Wolverines to prevail in double overtime, 49-42.
- Adam Ritteberg of ESPN, picks the Spartans, 37-35.
- Michigan GOP gubernatorial candidate, Rick Snyder, picks his alma mater, UofM. Democratic candidate and Lansing mayor, Verg Bernero remains neutral.